Thank you for your participation in the technical program of the 8th Americas Conference of the ISTVS, 12–14 September 2016. Our organization has been meeting since 1962 and our conferences are a rare chance to meet with colleagues with specialized expertise in soil-vehicle interactions.
Your contributions in the form of inviting participation from colleagues and reviewing abstracts and papers in the run-up to the conference — and then making your conference session a success — are the very heart of the benefits of ISTVS to all our members.
In the left column you'll find the dates and deadlines for the review process. Below you'll find:
Roles and Responsibilities // A summary of the roles and responsibilities of a conference session co-chair.
EasyChair Setup // Instructions on getting your account established with our conference system tool, EasyChair.
Your EasyChair Account // Instructions for updating your personal account in EasyChair when needed.
Reviewing Your Paper Assignments // Instructions for completing the paper reviews you have agreed to complete.
You might want to bookmark both this page and the long URL for our submissions page login — and you can always return to this site conference.istvs.org to find your way back, as well!
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns as we get started. Thank you and I look forward to working with you over the coming months!
Dr. Vladimir Vantsevich, Conference Chair
1. Role and Responsibilities of Session Co-Chair
As a session co-chair, you are a member of the technical committee of the conference. You work closely with the conference chair and conference co-chairs on your session. The process includes paper reviews and informing your colleagues about the conference in the lead-up to the conference, and conducting your session at the conference.
You inform and invite your engineering colleagues from your organization, industry, and academia to submit papers to your session and participate in the conference.
There are two co-chairs for each session. Please work closely with your partner to bring your session to success.
Both of session co-chairs will be involved in the review process and will work with the conference chair via the EasyChair conference system. Instructions for getting started with EasyChair are below.
The conference chair and conference co-chairs will manage the abstract submission process, including acceptance/rejection of abstracts. The session co-chairs will manage the reviewing process and acceptance/rejection of the papers that are submitted to their sessions.
You will both conduct the session. We suggest agreeing ahead of time on who will be the lead moderator at the conference session; the second co-chair can help by taking care of any distractions to the session that may arise. Your role is to enhance the presentations and discussion and not to summarize or dominate unnecessarily. You are free to question the speakers during the discussion period.
At the beginning of the session, a session co-chair should:
- Announce the name of the session.
- Read the following statement:
The purpose of this session is to provide an open exchange of ideas. Remarks made by participants or members of the audience cannot be quoted or attributed to the individual or their company unless express permission has been granted by the individual and their company. Any record of remarks, discussion, or photographs may not be used unless express permission has been granted by the individual and their company.
- Announce the name of the paper by the full title shown in the printed program.
- Announce the name of the author and all co-authors, regardless of whether they are present at the session. Such introductions should be brief — name, title, affiliation. The name of the presenter should be announced after all others have been introduced.
- Audience questions should follow the prepared presentation of each paper. As session chair, you must control this period carefully. Questions are taken orally. Session chairs should be prepared to ask questions of each of the presenters. One suggestion is to use comments and questions from the paper reviews to ask questions.
Each speaker from the audience will be recognized by the author or you and asked to state their name and organization prior to making comments. When this is not possible, or when the question is particularly long, you or the author should summarize before answering. Discussion from the audience should be limited to five minutes for each paper. The session chair must be aware of the overall time and should terminate unproductive discussion.
- Adhere to the start times indicated in the program. If a presentation has been cancelled after the program is printed, do not move up other scheduled papers in the session. (Attendees plan their days on the times listed in the program. Moving any presentation is a disservice to the attendees.) If a presentation cancels, either continue discussion of previous paper or adjourn until the next paper scheduled. Quality papers will assure the audience will return.
- Following the discussion of the last paper, you may make a few brief comments to summarize the session. Please then thank the participants and the audience and adjourn the session.
- You will participate and assist with the best paper award process before and during the conference. The conference chair will contact you to set up the nomination and voting process.
2. Setting Up Your EasyChair Account
When you receive the email invitation for our 8th Americas Conference, clicking on the link will bring you to the EasyChair login window.
Existing EasyChair Accounts: If you have used EasyChair for another conference in the past, your information should be saved in the EasyChair system. Use the “Forgot your password? click here” link if you need to reset your password. You will need to use the same email as in the past to log in; once you have logged in, you will be able to add another email address to your account.
New EasyChair Accounts: If you are new to the EasyChair conference system, choose “create an account” link in the first line under the Log In for existing accounts. In the following window, first complete the Captcha security step, the next window will ask for your contact information, and then you’ll receive an email confirmation with a link that will allow you to complete setting up your account.
Note: The third window in the process (see below) gives detailed help if you do not receive the email confirmation.
3. Updating Your EasyChair Account Information
When needed, use the options under EasyChair/My account to update your personal information, add an additional email address, change your email address, or change your user name.
4. Reviewing Your Paper Assignments
As abstracts, and then papers, are submitted, the conference chair will assign them to program committee members. Below are the main points of the interface you will interact with during the review process.
1. Use the menu item Reviews/My papers to see a list of the papers assigned to you:
2. On the following screen, clicking on the blue icon under the "details" column will take you to the screen with detailed information about the paper, including a download link; the folder icon under the "paper" column will download the paper directly:
3. When you are ready to review the paper, clicking on the green plus-sign icon under the "add new review" column will take you to the screen for submitting your review: